Friday 24 March 2017

I made a top...that I can actually wear!!


After the great trouser disaster my confidence took a bit of a knock but I didn't want to give up on clothes. Not being one to shy away from a challenge I wanted to try something a bit more adventurous. I had found some beautiful butterfly print fabric in the sale at Always Knitting & Sewing and had gotten the pattern free with one of the many sewing magazines I am obsessed with buying. It is a fairly simple style shell top with interfacing on the inside. The first step was to cut out the pattern and transfer it to the fabric. The patterns always come with a range of sizes and styles so this bit needs a bit of concentration. I definitely need to work on my attention to detail when it comes to cutting the fabric, if you aren't precise with this step, it will drastically effect the finished item. 


Sewing the fabric pieces together involved a whole lot of concentration and I ended up googling some things that I had never heard of before. I taught myself some new skills along the way including staystitching, darts, clipping curves and understitching. The internet is a really great resource for this sort of thing and there is always a friendly blogger out there waiting to help. 


Just as I thought I was getting somewhere I realised that I had stitched both armholes the wrong way round so my trusty stitch un-picker came out again. Perseverance won through on this project and the minute I finished the hem I let out a little squeal of excitement. I had made a top...but was it wearable? 


I rushed upstairs to try it on and couldn't wipe the grin off my face when it fit and actually looked pretty good. I was so proud to have produced something that I could wear out of the house, that looked pretty great and that I had made by teaching myself. It got its debut at work the very next day






No comments:

Post a Comment