Monday 27 February 2017

I am going to make a cape!

Having mastered my first quilts, I decided that I had this sewing lark down and brought a pattern to make myself a cape. It says very easy on the front so it can't be that hard right?...Wrong! 

The first challenge was finding the right fabric, I wanted it to be quite thick and warm, but manageable. At this point I knew nothing about fabric other than what jelly roll is. After a bit of research I discovered a lovely fabric shop in Eastleigh called Eastleigh Sewing Centre. The ladies in there were really friendly and helpful and didn't laugh too much when I got my threads confused and tried to by overlocker thread rather than the normal stuff (who knew they were even different!). 

I walked out of the shop with the right thread and with not only my cape fabric, but some more jelly roll and wadding for another quilt (more about that in a later post). My cape fabric was charcoal grey with a gorgeous silver thread running through it.

When I got home and opened the pattern packet, I was beyond confused. It looked so complicated and anything but easy. Luckily my mum was on hand to answer some really stupid questions...no matter how old we get, we still need Mum's advice 😀


I eventually figured out what the different bits of the pattern meant, how to cut it out and how to cut the fabric, and I even did it all the right way round! 


There is no better feeling than sewing your own piece of clothing, something you made yourself that you will actually wear. I made a few mistakes when sewing it and had to unpick a few seams, but I was super proud of it when I finished. 

It is far from perfect, but it is wearable and I absolutely love it. 

I learnt a lot of lessons along the way, mainly to take my time and be a bit more patient with myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment