Monday 27 February 2017

First Quilts

I got my sewing machine in mid December 2016 which is where my journey started. Never being one to shy away from a challenge I decided to jump straight in and make a quilt each as Christmas presents for my 2 nieces. 

Each quilt is made from 2 jelly rolls using the free Jelly Roll Quilt pattern from Hobbycraft. The pattern is really easy to follow and builds up the top layer of the quilt very quickly. Did I mention that is is also free, just download it from the website (or pick up the leaflet in store) and you are good to go. 

I also got the jelly rolls themselves from Hobbycraft, at £12 per roll it isn't the cheapest way to make a quilt, but it is very easy and very effective so it's a compromise. 

For the two quilts I used the following jelly rolls from Hobbycraft:

Hootenanny Bright Owl Rolled Fabric 

Symone Rolled Fabric Strips













The tops looked amazing when they were finished and I felt a real sense of achievement at how they had come together.  

Adding the wadding, backing and quilting made the quilts really come together and quilting in the ditch (along the seam) meant it really started to look like a quilt. 

I found the edging a challenge...I can be a bit gung ho and made a few mistakes with this. Luckily my gorgeous nieces didnt mind and it was so so lovely to see their happy faces and cries of "wow" on Christmas day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment